Beware of toxic plants: how to protect your dog’s environment

Beware of toxic plants: how to protect your dog’s environment

We’re well into springtime - flowers are blooming and nurseries are full of new plants and flowers. Some of you might be out getting new plants for your garden and your home. While it is very exciting to get started on your new project, be aware that some of your favorite plants and common plants are toxic to dogs! As a responsible dog owner, it’s important to create a safe environment.

Here is a list of the 15 most common plants that are toxic to dogs:

  1. Aloe: This is one of most popular plants that we have in gardens because of its medical benefits. However, it will cause vomiting and diarrhea if your dog ingests it.

  2. Apple Tree: Apple tree’s stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanide, so make sure to prevent your dog from chewing them.

  3. Azaleas and Rhododendrons: These beautiful flowering shrubs contain toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and even more severe symptoms like weakness and cardiac abnormalities.

  4. Begonia: This is a popular plant in gardens because it’s one of the easier plants to take care of, but it can cause mouth irritation and swallowing difficulties if your dog eats it.

  5. Calla Lilies and Lilies: Certain lily species, including Easter lilies, daylilies, and tiger lilies, are toxic to dogs. Ingesting any part of these plants can lead to kidney failure, which can be fatal.

  6. Daisy: Another happy flowers that we tend to overlook. You probably think they are safe for your dog, but the truth is daisies contain sesquiterpene, which can cause excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhea if your dog eats daisies.

  7. English Ivy: This is a plant you will find everywhere; you can see them in someone’s garden, living room, or even inside the bathroom. Many people love the look of English Ivy and it is very easy to take care of. However, it can be harmful if your dog ingests it, and can cause stomachache, excessive drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.

  8. Garlic: Another our favorite item that you are likely to spot in many people’s vegetable patches. Make sure your dog stays away from your vegetable patches if you grow garlic; they are poisonous for your dog. If they eat it, they can develop anemia and it will affect their heart rate.

  9. May Laurel: Another popular choice for house plants and we love to use the leaves to season our food. They contain eugenol and this chemical is toxic to your dog. Don’t let them get on this plant or eat bay leaves. Your dog could develop symptoms like drooling, vomiting and exposure to may laurel could also lead to kidney failure.

  10. Marijuana: Many people would think marijuana is a safe plant since you can use CBD oil as treatment for your dog. Please remember there are differences between marijuana plants and your CBD oil. CBD oil can help calm your dog and ease its pain, but on the other hand, if it ingests the marijuana plant, it can cause incoordination, excessive drooling, and dilated pupils. In serious cases, it will lead to depression and even put your dog into a coma.

  11. Sago Palm: This popular ornamental plant contains toxins in its seeds, leaves, and roots. Ingestion can cause symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, and potentially death.

  12. Tulips and Daffodils: The bulbs of these spring-blooming flowers contain toxins that can cause gastrointestinal upset, drooling, and in more severe cases, heart problems, and difficulty breathing.

  13. Oleander: All parts of the oleander plant, including the flowers, leaves, and branches, are highly toxic to dogs. Ingestion can result in symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rate, and even death.

  14. Castor Bean Plant: The seeds of the castor bean plant contain a potent toxin called ricin. Ingesting these seeds can cause severe symptoms such as abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, seizures, and even death.

  15. Yew: The yew plant, commonly used in landscaping, contains a toxic substance called taxine. Ingestion of any part of this plant can lead to symptoms like trembling, difficulty breathing, seizures, and even cardiac arrest.

For a more comprehensive list of toxic plants, check out: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Dogs | ASPCA

It is important to always be aware of the plants in your dog’s environment to ensure their safety. Even though you build them a safe environment at home, there are potential danger out there when you walk or travel with your dog. That’s why no matter where you are, you should always be alert of what they are doing so you can limit accidents. If you suspect your dog has eaten a toxic plant, please contact your vet right away or seek emergency vet care. It will be best if you can identify what your dog has eaten; that can help your vet treat your dog better.

Back to blog

Leave a comment